English Mutton Pie (Not your ordinary Sandwich)
195 countries in the world; 195 ways English is spoken. So is the Shepard’s Pie, the English invented it but we will give it our Basil Cantina accent. Presenting the Shepard’s pie sandwich. You probably guessed the recipe already. We take rich mashed potato base, add minced mutton and top it off with another layer of rich mashed potato, bake it and HMS Sandwich is ready for hungry peasants.
You will need
- Minced mutton
- Diced Onions
- Diced carrots
- Green peas
- Chicken broth
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Egg yolk
With Rich Mashed Potato
- Take boiled potato pieces. Add butter, cheese, milk, egg yolk, S&P and mash it till smooth
- Preheat oil. Add onions, saute for 2 mins.
- Add carrots, minced mutton.
- Season it with salt, thyme, rosemary.
- Add a spoon of flour
- Add broth and bring to boil
- Add green peas. Cook for 5-10 mins.
Prepare you Pie,
- In an ovenware dish, add a layer of mashed potatoes. Top it generously with mutton filling, top it with mashed potato. Run the top with a fork to form parallel trough lines.
- Bake for 20-25 mins at 200C.
Has to be served hot.
Total cooking time: 60 mins
In India, we have several dishes that are a meal by themselves, such as Biryani, chunky veggie sambar rice, kichidi, etc. This is definitely one of those all in one meals that will satiate your hunger no matter how big the appetite. Great comfort food for this monsoon.